15.12.08

Rights of a Customer conflicting with being an Employee

The drama is coming to a close.

I spoke with my supervisor, or should I say I was spoken to by my supervisor.  There were many comments regarding ethics and integrity.  Fortunately, neither my ethics nor integrity were being questioned, but the appearances of the opportunities for impropriety were the topics of discussion for the day.  Evidently, those that were actually at work last Monday received a much harsher discussion than I did.  I actually was in a discussion.  They were, well, the received something MUCH different. 

Long shorty shorted to a simple blog entry, don't do this type of thing, again.  Do not put people's jobs at risk. 

Then it was my turn to speak, and I chickened out.  I just wanted to let it all slide a way.  There was no trouble, or punishments coming down.  As far as the Super' knew, upper management was not aware of the situation.  Because of 3rd shift being invisible so much of the time, the only thing others hear of us is when we mess up.  They only hear the negative, because that is what they have to address on the day shifts.  There is no need for them to make contact with a happy customer.  Hence the continual issues of perception.

But this all still leaves me wondering.  When did I sign away my rights as a customer, just because I'm an employee?  We have employee purchase programs, so the employer encourages us to purchase the products.  If I purchase a laptop or one of our newer TV's at $1000.00 or more, do I not have access to support on those, as well, because I can identify the policies or contact the agent assisting with the support?

Or is this only for equipment from the 'Enterprise' divisions?  Things like servers and high-end workstations?  Maybe some other day I will find the answers to this, but not this week.  Not right now.  Reviews are in March, which means the managers are gathering their information, now.  The evaluation process has already started and is continuing.  So, sit back, keep quiet, don't be seen and stay clear of other issues. 

In other words, return to the epitome of the perfect IT worker.  Put out fires, before they are noticed.  Become invisible.  Fix it, before it is broken.

P.Blacksmith

No comments: